Mission Statement, revised Spring, 2014
The Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) is a professional midwifery association uniquely positioned to unite and strengthen all midwives through dedication to innovative education, professional development, and recognized autonomous practice.
MANA is committed to enabling transformative research, promoting an evidence-based Midwifery Model of Care, addressing health disparities, and achieving optimal outcomes through normal physiologic birth and healthcare across the lifespan.
Vision Statement, revised Spring, 2014
MANA envisions a world where every person, in the setting of their choice, has access to high quality midwifery care provided by culturally safe, autonomous, community based midwives.
- To engage midwives in dialog and to encourage solidarity across North America
- To recognize the diversity among midwives and to foster inclusive community building
- To build an identity as a cohesive organization representing the profession as well as the tradition of midwifery at regional, national and international levels
- To position midwives as acknowledged authorities, working to improve perinatal health in collaboration with other professionals
- To collect and disseminate high quality research about midwifery care
- To promote excellence in midwifery practice
- To sponsor continuing education opportunities for midwives
- To increase access to midwives in all settings
- To endorse the Midwives Model of Care™ as the gold standard for childbirth
- To affirm the rights of pregnant women to give birth where and with whom they choose
The Midwives Alliance promotes professional development and continuing education of midwives so all women and babies will have access to practitioners who can provide excellent prenatal care, safe and empowering births, comprehensive postpartum care, and privacy during the critically important bonding period of mother-infant attachment.
All Midwives, Students and Supporters are Welcome
The Midwives Alliance welcomes practicing and retired midwives, as well as students and midwifery advocates as valuable members of the organization.