MANA is unique and innovative in that it is the only professional midwifery organization in the U.S. that is inclusive of all midwives regardless of their educational route to midwifery. MANA supports the diversity in educational backgrounds and practice styles within the profession as a means of making midwifery available to more women and their families. If you are a midwife, MANA can provide you with a forum for professional dialog with your peers about practice and political issues you face daily.
MANA Mission Statement, revised Spring, 2014
The Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) is a professional midwifery association uniquely positioned to unite and strengthen all midwives through dedication to innovative education, professional development, and recognized autonomous practice.
MANA is committed to enabling transformative research, promoting an evidence-based Midwifery Model of Care, addressing health disparities, and achieving optimal outcomes through normal physiologic birth and healthcare across the lifespan.
Goals of MANA
- To expand communication and support among North American midwives
- To form an identifiable and cohesive organization representing the profession of midwifery on a regional, national, and international basis.
- To promote guidelines for the education of midwives and to assist in the development of midwifery education programs
- To promote research in the field of midwifery as a quality health care option
- To promote and support a woman's right to choose her care provider and place of birth
- To promote public education and midwifery advocacy
The Midwives Alliance is a professional membership organization. We invite you to join MANA as a member now. We welcome all practicing and retired midwives, as well as students and midwifery advocates as valued voices in the organization. As a member of the Midwives Alliance you are promoting the work that supports midwives, women, and babies around the world. This includes:
- Preserving the art and science of midwifery,
- Advocating for maternity care policy reform
- Supporting and unifying midwives
- Endorsing a woman-centered maternity care model
- Preserving normal birth practices
- Raising public awareness about the midwifery model of care
- Accessing professional development and continuing education
- Participating in data collection and research on midwifery care in the out of hospital setting
- Addressing disparities for women and babies in maternity care
- Increasing the midwifery workforce to meet the 2020 Challenge
- and more!
Members and non-members alike benefit from MANA's multi-level activities, but we need the support of the midwifery community and advocates to make it all happen! Please help us spread the word to midwives in your community and join together as a team to advance the profession of midwifery and health of mothers, babies, families, and communities.
Visit our Member Benefit page to see the many practice related benefits available to members, and log into our Members Only area to access coupon codes, webinar login information, and other goodies for MEMBERS ONLY!
MANA Member Benefits
As a member of the Midwives Alliance you are promoting the work that supports midwives, women, and babies around the world. Additionally, members of the Midwives Alliance enjoy discounts and other valuable benefits.
If you would rather join or renew via snail mail, please download and print the membership form here and mail it with your payment according to the directions on the form.
Use this page to renew your membership or to edit your contact information, your Mothers Naturally listing, and your demographic information.
Winter 2017 Elections
Voting for the MANA board will open January 9, 2017 and continue through January 31. Each MANA voting member may vote for one candidate (either a currently nominated candidate or a write-in candidate) for each position.