MANA Welcomes All Midwives
MANA’s vision is that midwifery is an essential maternity care option that must be fully integrated into the U.S. health care system. MANA asserts that investing in midwives and midwife-led care is fundamental to delivering high quality maternity care. MANA is unique and innovative in that it is the only professional midwifery organization in the U.S. that is inclusive of all midwives regardless of their educational route to midwifery. MANA supports the diversity in educational backgrounds and practice styles within the profession as a means of making midwifery available to more women and their families. If you are a midwife, MANA can provide you with a forum for professional dialog with your peers about practice and political issues you face daily.
The Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA) is a professional midwifery association uniquely positioned to unite and strengthen all midwives through dedication to innovative education, professional development, and recognized autonomous practice.
MANA is committed to enabling transformative research, promoting an evidence-based Midwifery Model of Care, addressing health disparities, and achieving optimal outcomes through normal physiologic birth and healthcare across the lifespan. (revised Spring 2014)
MANA envisions a world where every person, in the setting of their choice, has access to high quality midwifery care provided by culturally safe, autonomous, community based midwives. (revised Spring 2014)
- To engage midwives in dialog and to encourage solidarity across North America
- To recognize the diversity among midwives and to foster inclusive community building
- To build an identity as a cohesive organization representing the profession as well as the tradition of midwifery at regional, national and international levels
- To position midwives as acknowledged authorities, working to improve perinatal health in collaboration with other professionals
- To collect and disseminate high quality research about midwifery care
- To promote excellence in midwifery practice
- To sponsor continuing education opportunities for midwives
- To increase access to midwives in all settings
- To endorse the Midwives Model of Care™ as the gold standard for childbirth
- To affirm the rights of pregnant women to give birth where and with whom they choose
The Midwives Alliance promotes professional development and continuing education of midwives so all women and babies will have access to practitioners who can provide excellent prenatal care, safe and empowering births, comprehensive postpartum care, and privacy during the critically important bonding period of mother-infant attachment.
People of MANA
The People of MANA make a real difference by giving of their time, energy and resources to sustain and grow our beautiful organization.
Sections & Divisions
Sections and Divisions assure the smooth functioning of MANA as a whole and facilitate implementation of the various projects and endeavors approved by the membership.
In 1982, the Midwives Alliance of North America was established as a non-profit (501 c 6) professional organization for all midwives. MANA grew out of a grassroots coalition of diverse types of midwives including nurse-midwives, lay midwives, direct-entry midwives, and traditional midwives from across North America. The impetus to create MANA was a desire to establish a professional home for all midwives that would recognize and honor the diversity of educational backgrounds and practice styles within the profession.
Many people deserve recognition for advancing the practice and profession of midwifery or for helping MANA continue to fulfill its mission.